Sign the letter to Caerphilly County councillors
Please reject the Nant Llesg opencast coal mine proposal
On 5 August you face a crucial and historic decision on the proposed opencast coal mine at Nant Llesg.
We urge you to reject the Nant Llesg mine on the following grounds:
- It is not compatible with Wales’ policies on climate change;
- Official advice states we must phase out coal power by the early 2020s to meet carbon budgets, so there is no need for new coal mines;
- The mine will disfigure the local landscape, harm protected species and damage conservation efforts;
- It will result in noise and dust pollution, worsening regional air quality;
- There is significant uncertainty about the ability of the developer to cover the costs of restoration.
Full details of these material grounds for rejection will have been sent to you separately.
Please take this historic opportunity to say no to an unwanted, unnecessary new fossil fuel development, and reject Nant Llesg opencast coal mine.