Your right to know
Have you ever:
- Wanted to get information from a public authority?
- Thought they weren't telling the whole truth?
- Had problems getting the information you wanted?
Two laws mean you can now get answers. They are:
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Environmental Information Regulations 2004
Together they give you the right to access huge amounts of information held by all public authorities and some private bodies.
Did you know?
The laws cover more than 100,000 public authorities including:
- Government departments
- Local authorities
- The NHS and Police
The laws also cover waste companies and privatised utility companies for environmental information.