THE BIG FIX is a free drop-in event which will feature a clothing repair workshop with Barley from Fabrications, a chair repair surgery with Amanda from The School of Stuff, cycle checks from Hackney Bike Workshop, and a Restart Party for broken gadgets with fixers from the Restart Project.
Traid will be showing you how to make moth deterrents, ecoACTIVE will show you how to make useful things from rubbish, we’ll asking your help to map repair places in Hackney, and Hackney’s recycling team will answer your questions on waste prevention and re-use. We’ll have demonstrations of chair repair techniques from The School of Stuff, and we’ll demonstrate Sugru, an innovative mouldable repair product from a Hackney company.
Share and learn new skills as you rediscover the joy and the art of fixing and improving things rather than throwing them away.
- Sign-up for a workshop.
- Check out the schedule of demonstrations.
- Enjoy refreshments and activities.
- Refresh your wardrobe with Barley Massey from Fabrications.
- Learn patching, darning, sewing, and alterations.
- Bring an item to refresh.
The Restart Project
- Tired toaster? Poorly printer? Lazy laptop, Morbid mobile?
- Bring it, we’ll help you fix it.
- Our fixers work with you to fix your gadgets.
Hackney Bike Workshop
- Fix your bike with Hackney Bike Workshop.
- Safety check, tyre check and pump up.
- Brake and gear adjustment and lubrication.
The School of Stuff
- Chair repair surgery sessions with Amanda Girling-Budd from the School of Stuff.
- Get advice and learn techniques for fixing your chair.
- Make useful wallets, bags and beads from recycled materials.
- Protect your winter wardrobe, make a natural origami moth deterrent tea bag.
- Chair repair techniques with the School of Stuff.
- Sugru mouldable glue: demonstrations of this remarkable material.
- Mapping repair in Hackney: help us create a map of local repair places.
- The council’s recycling team will be on hand to provide information on recycling, waste prevention and re-use.