We’re a voluntary group of busy people from different backgrounds but what we have in common is a desire to help create a thriving world for everyone, and for the future.
That involves action for climate change and working to create a healthy natural environment, a fair economy, and a world where everyone’s needs are met.
What we're working on now:
- bees (helping people to provide habitat for them and getting rid of pesticides that harm them)
- supporting local green initiatives, e.g. Carbon Zero Cumbria
- our Tree Group supports local tree-planting & rewilding
- supporting more distant initiatives such as the successful anti-fracking protest at Blackpool
- opposing new nuclear power, advocating for safe stewardship of nuclear waste, and showing how our economy can work well without nuclear.
- opposing the proposed new coal mine near Whitehaven
We welcome new members and enjoy the chance to discuss and learn about green issues. Our group is very well respected locally, having successfully campaigned on various issues over the years, and our campaigners have won national Friends of the Earth awards for their work.
We keep in touch via email through which we inform members and supporters of news, campaigns, and events. When we meet it's in Cockermouth, where we also hold occasional street stalls. We also have speaker meetings.
Get in touch with us on [email protected] or else use the contact form below.
Get in touch
Find out how you can get involved locally
West Cumbria and North Lakes Friends of the Earth is a licenced local group of Friends of the Earth England, Wales & Northern Ireland.
Content on linked websites is maintained by the groups themselves. If you have any queries about linked content, get in touch with the local group using the form above.