Action Network: a digital campaigning tool for local groups
You can use it to
- Create petitions
- Advertise events
- Grow the number of people who know about your group.
Plus you can keep people who take action with you updated by sending them emails at every stage of your campaign. You can encourage them to take on a more active role and get more involved in your group.
And unlike other digital platforms out there such as Change.org or Eventbrite, Action Network gives you total control of what happens next. Here’s just one example of what it could look like:
So even after you’ve handed your petition in, or your event has taken place, you can go on talking to people about the work your group is doing in the community.
What we offer
- Free access to the Action Network tool, which allows you to:
- Set up petitions – example petition.
- Set up an email-your-local-X actions (not just your local MP – anyone you have an email for) – example action.
- Host online forms, such as to gather emails sign-ups – example form.
- Promote events – example event.
- Email people who have taken your actions or signed up to your events.
- Analyse your work and see what's working.
- Training and support, covering how to use the tool and how to make the most of it. See the latest training opportunities.
- A dedicated contact at Friends of the Earth to help you use the tool.
- Help with promotion. If your petition is doing really well, we can help boost numbers by telling Friends of the Earth supporters in your area about it too.
I would recommend using Action Network. I'm not very good with technical things but it's really simple to use.
What we need from you
We’d like you to be doing at least one of the following:
- Running, or planning to run, a campaign with a specific target (eg your local councillors), ideally with an end target date.
- Organising at least 1 public event (eg a film screening or public meeting).
- Regularly sending email updates to your existing contact list.
And we’d also like:
- A commitment to learn how to use Action Network. You’ll need to be somewhat comfortable with technology. You don’t need to be a hotshot programmer, just someone who is comfortable enough with trying out new digital tools.
- Your feedback, because without it we won’t be able to improve. It’s vital you’re willing and able to tell us how things are working.