Planning and promoting your fundraising event
Thank you for thinking about fundraising for Friends of the Earth. If you already know what kind of fundraising activity you're going to do, here's some advice on planning and promoting your event.
Planning a fundraising event
The better prepared you are, the more smoothly your activity will run. Here are a few key things to consider:
- How will you raise money? This depends on your activity – online donations? Selling items? An entrance fee?
- Can any of your friends, family or colleagues help you organise or promote your event?
- When will you hold your event? Do you have enough time to prepare? Does it clash with any other local or national event?
- Where is your fundraising event going to take place? Do you need to book a venue? If so, can you get one for free? Local schools and community centres might be able to help.
- Will your event cost anything? If so, create a budget in advance.
Promoting your fundraising event is essential to maximise the number of donations you receive. It’s simple - the more people you tell, the more donations you’ll attract. Think about the many different types of publicity you might use to reach the largest audience.
Here are some tips for promoting your event.
All your hard work and planning has paid off. Time to enjoy your fundraising activity and make sure you have fun.
Pay your money in
Great job. Your event was a success and hopefully you’ve had bucket loads of donations. Now, what do you do with all of those donations? Pay in your fundraising donations to Friends of the Earth. If you’ve raised funds online through JustGiving, we will receive the donations automatically.
Promoting an event
If you have a Facebook page, or if you’re on Twitter, please tell your friends and followers all about your fundraising efforts. You can also share your JustGiving page with them to make it extra simple to donate to your cause. Social media is a great way to keep everyone updated with your event.
We’d love you to share your amazing fundraising achievements with us too, so please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you do get in touch, we'd love to hear:
- What activity you did and if you have any pictures
- What motivated you to fundraise for us
- How you would feel about taking part in another activity in the future.
Capture the moment
Take photos and videos and use them on social media and in your local media to raise more cash. A picture says a thousand words, right?
Posters and flyers
Tried, tested and still an eye-catching way to let people know what you are doing. Put them up at your workplace or ask local shops, cafes and community noticeboards to display them
Spread the word
Ask your friends, family and colleagues to spread the word. A great way to make people aware of what you're doing is to send an email out to everyone you know. Make sure you include a link to your JustGiving page.
Promoting your fundraising activity through the media will help you shout about your efforts and ultimately raise even more money. You could obtain excellent publicity in your local newspapers, radio stations or TV stations. A good way to reach out to these organisations is to write a press release.
Stuck for fundraising idea?
If you're in need of inspiration, we have some top tips for fundraising ideas. There are loads of different suggestions to help you pick an exciting fundraising activity that best suits you.
And we're here to support you. If you need further help, please get in touch at email@example.com or 0800 581 051.
Thank you for all your efforts.